Tuesday, February 15, 2011

As You Like It

As far as mythology in As You Like It goes, I think that it is pretty prevelant.  Like we discussed in class, there are a lot of biblical references as well as Greek mythologies.  This refrences are not only done with character names and places that are within the text,  but also places and settings. 

One line that I think might be somewhat of a biblical reference would be line 129 in Act 1, Scene 2 with Touchstone's line
      Thus men may grow wiser every day. It is
      the first time that ever I heard breaking of ribs was
      sport for ladies
When I read this, I thought about how one of Adam's ribs was broken in order to create Woman. 

The one I thought that was most interesting and easy to miss, was when Charles referenced the "golden world."  I feel like that the thought of the golden world and how people want to go back to it, is a trend that continues generation after generation.  Everyone's grandparents and parents always remind the younger generations about how "back in their day" everything was better, time didn't move as quickly, and the music didn't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment